Thursday, September 21, 2006

Scenes from the books.


I've been asked to produce a series of pictures from The Various trilogy. The idea is that there will be three pictures from each book, so nine scenes in all. The pictures will then be made available as a limited set of prints, with just 100 of each printed up - I think. These will all be signed and numbered.

When I was doing the actual book illustrations I avoided drawing the characters. As a reader I'm always a bit disappointed when the picture of a character that I have in my head turns out to be nothing like the illustrator's idea of that same character.

With this commissioned series of 'scenes from the books' however, it's been necessary to include some of the characters. I think the key is not to be too specific, nor to attempt close-up facial portraits. I've just finished the first scene - the one where Midge is tending to Pegs in the barn. I'll see if I can post here.

6 comments:

Linda Donovan said...

Lovely illustration, Steve! And the idea of a limited print series, with signature, is excellent!

Good going! I'll be watching your blog for other announcements.

Steve Augarde said...

Thanks Linda. Yes, keep in touch. I'm hoping to get this blog linked to my website in the next few days.

Curious George said...

Great idea Steve! I'll be checking your blog on a regular basis.

Steve Augarde said...

Hi George. Thanks for dropping by.

Boris said...

what were u doing up at 0430 you philosopher?!!!!

Boris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.