Friday, November 10, 2006

Pitch




Sometimes you get offered a job outright, and sometimes you have to pitch for it. This happens a lot when you're a freelancer, whether it be for writing or illustrating. A pitch is very much like an audition. Maybe you're right for the part and maybe you're not.

There's a new weekly publication - a comic - coming out next year, supposedly a BIG SECRET, but I imagine it's more or less common knowledge within the business and anyway I'm naming no names. I've been asked if I'd be interested in becoming involved, and so I'm trying to put some thoughts together.

I've done comic-strip work in the past, and have learnt from past mistakes. The big secret as far as I'm concerned is to develop a style that you can live with week after week, month after month. It stands to reason that if you have a 12 frame strip to produce every week, and each of those frames is a full day's work, then you're in trouble from the start. Your 'pitch' may look impressive, but you're never going to meet the deadlines. So keep it within the bounds of what you can realistically achieve, given the time limits.


I bought one of those graphics tablet things, and at the moment I'm just messing around with it to see what kind of line I can produce. I haven't even thought about colour yet. Technology is wonderful, but I'm still not entirely convinced. So it's quick and convenient to draw straight from pencil roughs onto the screen. Proportions and composition can be easily altered, mistakes easily erased or rectified. But does it lose something by not being pen and ink? Don't know.

Ideas are cheap, as always. Anybody can come up with an idea. Extending an idea into something beyond the flash of its own little light bulb is another matter.

2 comments:

kathryn said...

Interesting job offer, Steve. One whole day for a frame?! Wow!

Steve Augarde said...

There's no way you could afford to take a day over a single frame, Kathryn. That's what I'm saying - you need to find a style that you can move quickly with.