Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A wand'ring minstrel I...

The calcification of the brain, along with that of the joints, is something to look forward to, but until the day comes when we seize up completely we must take what pleasure we can find.

I've been waking up at quite reckless hours recently and listening to Gilbert and Sullivan on my Zen player. Does this willingness to drink from the deepest pools of musical depravity herald - or indeed hasten - the onset of delirium wooferandum (barking madness), or is it evidence of a still enquiring mind? Maybe it's simply the fact that an awful lot of G&S question seem to have come up in the local quiz league lately.

I don't know any more. I just don't know, I tell you.

4 comments:

Tom Saunders said...

Groucho was a great fan of G&S's music. He said he preferred to date women two at a time because he hated to see a girl walk home alone.

Steve Augarde said...

I've never been a great fan, but I'm warming to it. Listening to it has had the topsy turvy effect of making me want to see Mike Leigh's film again. I think I might appreciate it more second time around.

RobinSlick said...

You're not like, whistling that stuff in the bath, are you?

Steve Augarde said...

I've become a bit self-conscious about whistling anywhere, to tell you the truth. People might think that I was up to something. Certainly to be behind a locked bathroom door and whistling 'Three Little Maids From School' would be to invite suspicion.

Time was when all men whistled, pretty much continuously - and they all wore hats too. Very few of us do either now.