Thursday, December 31, 2009

Last review of the decade

I said to someone in an email today that this blog is in danger of becoming a perpetual plugging machine, but when you receive praise like the following (from ace US reviewer Robbie Fischer) it would be perverse to keep it to yourself.

A Fort Made Of Books

I always find New Year Eves to be faintly depressing - another year older and still no private jet etc. - so this cheered me up immensely. I've no excuses now not to venture out for a couple of shandies and a knees-up. Thanks Robbie, and a very Happy New Year to you my friend.

2 comments:

VictoriaArt said...

Happy New Year, Steve! Sure we are getting older, but so what? We are all marching in this direction...and those snow shoes.... yeah to it and the direction they are taking you....
Anyway, being your ardent reader and follower I wanted to tell you this. I read the wonderfully written post about the X Isle book of yours and can't wait to get my hands on this one. You must be happy... By the way - for my boys and daughter. I guess when I wrote my boys I meant it because of the main characters. Of course it's for girls too. And thinking of my daughter in particular. I am not thinking in boy/girl stereotypes!

I just enjoyed my way again through (now) all three 'Various' books, I got the last one a few weeks ago from Welcombe books in Stratford-upon Avon, Warwickshire.
I can not tell you enough how much I love them, the amazingly imagined story, the framing of the Celandine book with the Midge books. The fantasy and the truth, the warmth and sweetness of your writing. Subperb! I could imagine a follow up to these, would so wish it and maybe one of those days you could please sit down and keep going with Midge and George, Henty and Little-Marten?
I am no literary critic, but a lover of stories well told and fabulously written: The Touchstone trilogy is one of them!
Thank you again!

Yours truly!
Victoria

Steve Augarde said...

Aww thanks, Victoria. That's very kind of you. It's great to get professional reviews, but a few words of appreciation from readers are just as welcome. They all count!

A Happy New Year to you and yours, and I hope you manage to get hold of a copy of X Isle soon.