Friday, March 12, 2010

Bread


I’ve gone all John Lennon recently, and started baking my own bread. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s an extension of the creative urge, or maybe it’s just a displacement activity – in lieu of getting down to some actual work. Either way it’s a cinch.
I’m using spelt flour. Spelt s-p-e-l-t. This is an ancient grain that was used before wheat became the standard ingredient for baking, and it gives the loaf a kind of nutty flavour. It’s also kinder to the digestive system, which is a big plus for health freaks like me (ho ho). I really like it.
Best of all, you don’t need any fancy kit – breadmaking machines and the like – just a non-stick baking tin and a mixing bowl.
Here’s my recipe for a small loaf of bread. Takes about ten minutes prep.
Ingredients:
250 gm spelt flour.
I teaspoon fast acting yeast.
Pinch of salt.
Pinch of sugar (if you're in reckless mood).
Sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, sundried tomatoes, or any other hippy stuff you want to chuck in.
200 ml. warm water.
Method:
Mix ingredients in a bowl. Add warm water and mix to a dough. This will be quite sticky, and you’ll wonder whether you’ve overdone it with the water, but it’ll be fine. No need to knead!
Put the dough into the baking tin. Cover with a damp cloth (I use a bit of kitchen towel) and leave in a warm place until the dough rises. Maybe 20-40 mins.
Shove it in an oven, pre-heated to 200C/400F/gas mark 6. Bake for about 40 mins. Turn the loaf out of the tin and put it back into the oven for maybe another ten minutes.
That’s it.
Now you can go and live in the Dakota Hotel and tell the world that you’ve made your contribution to society and have no plans to work again. How fab is that?

1 comment:

loopyjuice said...

You'll be chairman of a football club next.