Friday, April 16, 2010

'Server rejected'

I’m currently unable to upload photos to Blogger. They’ve updated the system, you see, and so of course it no longer works.

When changes like this are introduced, I’d like to be given a choice. I'd like to see a couple of option buttons on my screen.

Option 1.‘Switch to our new improved photo uploading system! It’ll mean using Picasa, a program you never asked for and won’t understand, but which you’ll need to sign up for and get your head around before you can post a pic. Unfortunately it doesn’t work. Yes, we’re having problems with it at the moment, and you’ll get a ‘server rejected’ message on anything you try to upload. And yes we realise it might have been a good idea to test it first. But it’s new, you see, and that’s why it’s better. Unfortunately we don’t offer any official assistance, but you can always go to our ‘help’ forums and rummage around in there for a few hours, along with all the other dazed and confused bloggers suffering with the same issue. Other than that we can’t advise.’


And on the second button would be
Option 2.
‘Don’t’.

UPDATE: So it seems they fixed it, and now you can upload pics from your files without having to muck about in Picasa. Well, OK then. But in future...just behave.

7 comments:

Jim Murdoch said...

I've been using Live Writer for months now rather than bothering to work straight in Blogger. It's so much easier and it does all the uploading for you. Christ knows where it puts the stuff but I don't much care. Check it out. I found it dead easy to learn and you can do a lot with images.

Steve Augarde said...

Thanks, Jim. I'm fed up with this malarkey, and will certainly take a look.

Kim said...

It isn't fixed. I still can't upload and am getting the same message. I am also very frustrated. Loved the post - so true!

Steve Augarde said...

Hallo Kim - good to hear from you, though I'm sorry to hear that you're currently in Blogger hell.

I've had no problems for a while now - in fact the the upload system seems to have improved dramatically. When I want to add a pic I now get a window that says 'choose file', and I can browse my folders. I usually have the pic ready on my desktop, and upload from there.

Why this should work for one blogger and not the next is a mystery. Maybe they're improving the system by area, in which case you just have to hope that they get around to Wyoming eventually!

Or make the big change...

Jodi Lee said...

I couldn't agree more! I'm a photographer in Canada, and a couple of weeks ago it worked again. I went on an uploading frenzy. Then the next day...."server rejected". Soooooo frustrating. Currently researching new blogs to use because I have had it with blogger! I got a chuckle out of your Picasa comment - sooooo true!

Steve Augarde said...

Thanks Jodi. Sorry to hear you're still having problems. Blogger has been behaving itself for me for quite some time now. There's no longer any mention of Picasa, and the 'Browse' option to upload directly from wherever in my files I choose is simple and logical.

Are you using the same version, I wonder?

I'm not currently thinking of switching from Blogger. Usual story: fury, followed by inertia!

John said...

Same problem here. I loaded one image tonight OK. Then for my next blog post, unable to load any images at all. First time I have experienced this. Hope they fix it soon...