Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Le Peuple Des Miniscules...


Received from my publisher today.


Dear Steve

The French publisher of The Various has just sent me a lovely email, which I thought you might like to read…

Just to let you that I will present to the representative sales team, to our commercial team, “The Various” this afternoon for a launch in February 2011 - I am very moved by this so sensitive and wonderful book, it’s pure fantasy, with a great love for every human being, Various or not.

I would be very pleased if you could send all my admiration to the author. I believe strongly in that trilogy, I would like the Various to be a classic in my series and I am very proud to be the French publisher of the books.

We adapted the original cover and I just changed the title for the French audience. I called it “LE PEUPLE DES MINUSCULES”. I changed the title because "The Various" didn't fit in French and remains very obscure, but I wanted to keep the idea of strange and mysterious people. I chose "Minuscules " which means "little" and that word conveys the idea of little people.

I would like to add that Jean Esch who is the translator of the book (and the translator of Philip Pullman and E. Colfer) was very happy to have this book to work on.

Please find attached the French cover.

With all best wishes

Catherine

4 comments:

Jennifer Morian Frye said...

and they kept the cover art....very nice. I knew I wasn't the only one who loved the series!

Steve Augarde said...

Thanks, Jennifer. Yes, I'm also glad that they kept the original covers. I can only guess at how the West Country idiom translates into French and German...

Jennifer Morian Frye said...

I hadn't thought of that.....that would be interesting. I don't know enough about German and French dialects to know if there is anything relate-able.

Steve Augarde said...

Nor I. I've listened to some of the audio German version (Das Kleine Volk), out of curiosity, but of course I can't tell whether or not an equivalent country dialect is being used. I should find out.