Friday, February 11, 2011

How to get rid of 'Smart Internet Protection 2011'.


Here’s another very nasty piece of software. If the above image appears on your screen, you’re in trouble. ‘Smart Internet Protection 2011’ purports to be an anti-spyware tool, warning you that your computer is infected, and urging you to run a scan. But, like Security Tool, SIP is the very virus that you need protecting from. If you touch it, even by trying to delete it, your computer will be clogged within minutes.

Once again, the programme looks entirely convincing – high quality graphics that make clever use of a ‘shield’ logo similar to that of Norton and Windows Security Centre.

Automatic removal of SIP is possible - with the right software. AVG and Norton seem ineffective, but if you have the excellent  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware tool already installed on your computer then you’re in with a chance. The free version works fine. However you do need to have the very latest updates – so get them now. The old one won’t hack it.

I found that a full scan with the updated Malwarebytes got rid of Smart Internet Protection 2011. My computer, however, was damaged. I couldn’t sign in to my Google account, so no email, and everything had slowed down to about a quarter speed. In the end, having got rid of the spyware, I used System Restore to take me back to an earlier date, and now it all seems OK.

If for some reason you can't install Malwarebytes, and there's no choice but to remove SIP manually then go HERE for the currently prescribed method. I gather that you can also call Microsoft support @ 866-727-2338, and they can help you over the phone. Either way, this will take you some time.

I would happily chop off the fingers of the designers of Smart Internet Protection 2011. Then I would deep-fry them in batter and sell them as tapas. Maybe in Glasgow.

4 comments:

McKenna Donovan said...

Thank you, Steve! I updated my Malewarebytes immediately, and will run the full scan shortly.

I reposted your blog to my Facebook page, so I hope you get many, many visitors from Facebook.

And by the way, hello!

Steve Augarde said...

Hey, Linda - nice to hear from you! And thanks. Malwarebytes has got me out of trouble a couple of times now, and I'm glad to be able to recommend it.

TheNote said...

Thank you, Thank you for the heads up.

I'm glad to know your computer is much better.
-g-

Steve Augarde said...

Thanks Georgy. Hope it never happens to you m'dear.